So you have been Googling ‘internships’ and now, you may be asking yourself, “Should I intern locally or go abroad?” And “There are so many places in the world… where should I go?”. We suggest you intern in Cape Town.
Well, the answer is simple: Go abroad! Why? Well, it is so much cooler when you get back home! You’ll have that “I travelled the world” halo around you, which makes for awesome conversation! #jetsetter.
Okay, so you are an academic and want the real facts as to how an internship abroad can benefit you. Check it out:
- You have the opportunity to travel and live in a new country.
- Get academic credit.
- You will meet amazing people and expand your social network.
- Improve your language skills or learn a new language.
- You prove to prospective employers that you are proactive, daring and take initiative.
- Living and working outside of your home country demonstrates that you are not afraid to take risks in your life or career. Take a risk, learn a life lesson.
- Your resumé will stand out and employers will want to learn more about you!
- Interning abroad helps you develop a more global perspective.
- You will learn about yourself and grow as a person.
- Your suitcase will not be big enough to contain your new found self-confidence.
- You will learn more than you can ever imagine!
Did you know…
And now that you’ve decided to intern abroad, where should you go? Here are six reasons why you should intern in Cape Town (one of the best cities in the world)!
Cultural melting pot
Cape Town is a cultural melting pot. People from all over the world converged on the Mother City years ago, due to its strategic location as a point of trade, and of course its beauty. You will meet the most amazing people from every walk of life!
Historic Robben Island. Where our history was literally HIS STORY – Nelson Mandela. Take the ferry a short trip across the Atlantic to learn about South Africa’s first African president, and see the beauty of Cape Town from afar. Check out their website and read our intern outing blog.
Delicious food and wine
The Western Cape Province is home to award-winning wine, heavenly beach vistas, delicious food and passionate summers. Take a tour through wine country in Stellenbosch and Franschhoek, taste wines by the fire or overlooking the valley. There is so much to do in every season, you will never be bored in Cape Town!
Just 1.5 hours, from Cape Town, in the beach town Hermanus, is THE place to see Southern Right whales from August through October. Book ahead!
Cape Town has the highest commercial bungee jump in the WORLD! It all happens at Bloukrans Bridge.
And who could forget, Table Mountain! Cape Town is the home of the 7th Wonder of the World, and it’s great for hiking, picnics and to ride the Cable Car.
Final thoughts on why to intern in Cape Town
No matter where you choose to go, you will encourage personal growth if you leave your comfort zone. What better way to do that than to move a million miles away from home! Come to South Africa, for example… #justsaying!
Or if you’ve already been to Africa and are up for an even more challenging adventure, if i could… is now offering development internships in New Delhi, India!
Good luck on your journey. You have one life, so make it a great one!