Travelling to a new country is exciting, and sometimes a little daunting. But don’t worry … we are here to help! Here are some tips to consider when preparing for your internship with if i could…
Preparing and pre-arrival
- Confirm your accommodation arrangements. The if i could… team is on hand to help you find suitable accommodation during your time while you intern in Cape Town or intern in New Delhi.
- Send us your flight details so we know the correct time to meet you at the airport.
- Check with us and see if any further documentation is needed (e.g. vaccinations or a visa for a longer stay).
- Pack your bags! Here are some great tips to help you pack efficiently. Don’t forget to pack your passport!
- Remember to pack your laptop/tablet if you plan on staying in touch!
- Read this useful guide to electrical outlets/ plugs in different parts of the world as they may be different from what you use in your home country.
On your flight
Flights to Cape Town and New Delhi can be anywhere between 15 and 23 hours long. We have gathered some tips to help make your trip more comfortable:
- Stay hydrated! It is recommended that you drink at least 500ml of water for each hour of your flight. This will help ease jetlag when you arrive at your destination
- Walk around regularly. Stretch your legs! If possible, try and request a seat on the aisle so that you are able to move about freely. Read through these recommended travel exercises.
- Set your watch to the time at your destination.
- The if i could… team will pick you up from the airport. Remember to wait at the arrivals gate as that is the easiest way for us to find you.
- After we have welcomed you, we will drop you off at your accommodation and make sure you are settled in.
- Within your first few days, we will have a detailed orientation with you, which will include a transport orientation so that you become familiar with transport to and from your internship location. Read our tips to help you move around Cape Town and surrounds!
- We coordinate intern outings to connect you to your fellow interns in-country and show you our favourite spots in the city.
The if i could… team is here to make sure your internship experience is a happy one! Feel free to email our team with any questions.
We are super excited to have you join our programme! Rest assured, we are here to help with all your internship planning, whether you are visiting Cape Town or New Delhi 🙂