Often when we’re meeting the great interns on the if i could… programme, we start dreaming about all the places we still need to travel to and how much more of the world there is to experience out there. Do you get sent off on those tangents too? During these times, the question of how to raise funds for your international internship may pop up.
It’s amazing to theorize about all the trips you could go on and the people you could meet there. We think dreams like that should only be built on more and more. So, we’re working to move the hurdles out of your way while you make more plans.
One of those hurdles is often figuring out how to pay for your travels. That’s why we’ve teamed up with FundMyTravel to help provide a solution to your financial roadblock. With FundMyTravel, you’ll have an option on how to raise funds for your internship abroad.
FundMyTravel is an online fundraising platform where you can easily build a profile, launch your campaign and share your page with your network of family and friends. By doing so, you help spread the word and encourage more people to donate to your dream.
We made you a quick video with some important tips on how to become a travel funding ninja. Watch here:
Tips to raise funds for your internship
Here’s how to run a travel funding campaign that steals people’s hearts and gets you to your destination
- Start a campaign on a platform that’s easy for people to use and donate to. It’s important you don’t lose them with a tricky payment process. It doesn’t have to be on FundMyTravel, it can be on any crowdfunding platform you know. However, this is the easiest and best one we’ve found so far.
- Share it everywhere you can! Your friends and family are the obvious ones to tell, but think who else you could send it to. Consider your extended networks, the people from a school tour last year, and even your community media like newspapers. Tell them about all the good you’re going to do abroad and how you’ll always let them know how you’ll put their donations to good use.
- If you’re reaching out to people you don’t know, it’s especially important to show them why it’s a good idea to support your fundraising. For example, will 50% of their donations be given to a local charity? Are you using their funds for food or for transport? Can you bring them any souvenirs from your trip? Give people as many reasons as possible to support your campaign.
- When you leave for your adventure, don’t think your campaign ends. Make sure to send funders regular updates about what you’re doing and how much you’re achieving thanks to their kind donations. This can be in any form you like Instagram stories, personal emails, actual postcards.
- Let us know when you’re raising funds! We’re starting a monthly Featured Fundraiser spotlight on our social media channels and we’d love to tell your story.