Volunteer and development immersion experience
Your access and use of our website is subject to the following Terms and Conditions and is an agreement between you (the individual) and Development Works Changemakers’ if i could… programme. “iic” , “us” , “we” , “our” refer to if i could….
When you submit an online application for an if i could… service, you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions listed below. Each of our programmes – internships, volunteering or cultural immersion tours – have their individual Terms & Conditions which will be signed and applicable upon programme registration.
Below you will find the general legal framework of our website and programmes:
What can you expect
There are several parties involved in the success of the Development Works Changemakers’ if i could… programmes. To make sure that you understand what to expect from these different parties and know what your responsibilities towards these parties are the following has been provided.
if i could… ensures to provide:
- Airport Pickup and Transfer – One of the if i could… representatives will meet you at the airport upon arrival in-country. This representative will transport you to your accommodation. We will also help you settle in. Upon completion of your stay we will also provide transportation back to the airport free of charge for your return flight.
- Accommodation Arrangements – We have vetted our accommodation options to ensure it is suitable, clean, safe and centrally located.
- Meals – We will provide some meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during your immersion trips. If you choose not to have any meal(s) on a particular day you would have to give notice one day in advance. If you have any specific dietary requirements please let us know before departure to India. No meals will be provided for our internship offerings.
- In-country and General Orientation – If i could… will provide you with an extensive orientation upon your arrival. This takes place during the first day of the programme and gives you the opportunity to ask questions. You will also receive an orientation pack and city guide to provide further information and support you during your stay.
- Volunteering option – During your program, you will be exposed to various aspects of the development sector.
- Outings – If i could… will invite you to take part in organised cultural and development focused activities. Your participation in these activities is voluntary.
- 24hr Emergency Support – If i could… will provide you with the contact numbers of staff members in the event of an emergency. Staff members are available 24 hours a day to respond to emergencies.
- Visa Application Support – If i could… will provide information that will aid you in you preparing and submitting your visa application yourself. However, this would only be in the form of offering relevant information at hand. We cannot be held responsible whatsoever for your visa application or the visa submission process, nor receipt and/or issue thereof. You are not entitled to any refund in the event that you cannot participate in any of our programmes due to any visa constraints.
Your Host Organisations ensures to provide:
- Placement Supervision and Support: Your host organisation will provide supervision and support throughout your programme experience. How this is structured will differ amongst various host organisations. In the event of an issue arising that you cannot resolve directly with your host organisation please inform if i could… as soon as possible. We want to ensure that each experience is beneficial for both our volunteers/interns and host organisations. If i could… is available to provide you with sound advice based on our expertise and experience, and if necessary, intercede with your host organisation to ensure that any issues are resolved promptly and positively through a facilitative manner.
What is expected of a participant:
- Medical Safety: As a participant, you are accountable for ensuring your own personal safety whilst in a foreign country. Comprehensive travel insurance is compulsory for all participants of the if i could… programme. You are responsible for applying, securing and financially providing for a medical insurance scheme that will cover you for medical emergencies. In addition, if i could… requires that you provide contactable details in the case of an emergency for your next of kin and/or family member before your departure.
- Personal Safety: We are laying strong emphasis on visitor safety. If I could… advises participants to take all the usual safety precautions when travelling in a foreign country. This includes but is not limited to:
- Not carrying large amounts of cash on your person
- Ensuring that valuable possessions are kept out of sight
- Not leaving money, bank cards or valuable possessions in vehicles, or unattended
- Avoiding going out at night alone
- Not drawing cash from Automated Teller Machines at night
- Avoiding using public transport at night, especially if you are alone
- Avoiding consuming alcohol or any mind-altering illegal substance that can impair your judgement when out in public, or using public transport, and place you at risk
- Avoiding unsafe and high-risk areas
- Trusting your instincts and erring on the side of caution if you feel uneasy about a situation, or a person
- Being mindful and respectful about the country’s dress, religious and cultural codes
- In addition, if i could… recommends all participants to let fellow participants know where you are going and when to expect you, if you are planning outings that will cause you to deviate from usual routines
- Road Safety: Since traffic and the quality of infrastructure is quite different in foreign countries if i could… recommends that you familiarise yourself with the road rules and customs. Assume your own responsibility in participating in road activity at all times
- Legal Safety: As a participant, you are expected to abide by and respect all the laws of host countries. You are responsible for any civil or criminal liability or for defending yourself should any legal claims arise
It is important to note that notwithstanding any assistance that if i could… may render to you, and notwithstanding the fact that we have facilitated the trip/placement for you as a participant, you are responsible for your own health, welfare and security. Therefore, if i could… expects its participants to be self-sufficient, careful and responsible at all times.
Memorandum of Understanding
Derived from above-stated responsibilities and expectations the following agreement has been formulated. Party A, the Participant and Party B, Development Works Changemakers or if i could…) herewith agree that:
- Personal, Health and Legal Safety
- The Participant is accountable for ensuring his/her own personal safety whilst in a foreign country.
- The Participants warrants that he/she is in necessary mental and physical health to participate in the programme and does not have any conditions that could affect his/her ability to partake in the programme.
- If any conditions exist that may impact on the participant’s ability to participate then these conditions must be disclosed to DWC beforehand as part of the application process. DWC reserves the right to not accept an application should issues of suitability arise.
- The Participant is responsible for applying, securing and financially providing for a medical insurance scheme that will cover his/her medical emergencies throughout the programme.
- The Participant authorises DWC and its representatives to seek medical attention on behalf of the Participant in the event of accident, illness or other emergencies during the programme. The Participant also authorise any physician to release any information acquired in the course of treatment or examinations. This authorisation shall be valid for the entire duration of the if I could… volunteer programme while the Participant remains financially responsible for any and all medical treatment received.
- DWC and its representatives cannot be held responsible for any injuries, death, damages or losses whatsoever that the Participant may incur as a result of participating in the programme.
- Upon termination of the programme for any reason, the Participant will be legally responsible for his/her own care, safety and legal status as an alien in the host country.
- The Participant is responsible for any civil or criminal liability or for defending against any legal claims against DWC or its partners or service providers.
- Personal, Health and Legal Safety
- Visa Application
- DWC and its employees cannot be held responsible whatsoever for the Participant’s visa application or the visa submission process or receipt and/or success thereof. If i could… cannot accept responsibility if entry to a country is denied due to incorrect visa or travel documents or delays in the visa application process.
- The Volunteer consents and authorizes DWC to use his/her name, photograph, file or video, as well as any statements or comments made by him/her in materials or publications for commercial and/or promotional purposes.
- Programme Fee and Refund
- The programme fee specifically covers the services as set out herein. The participant is solely responsible and liable for paying any and all other costs and expenses related to his/her participation in the if i could… program.
- if i could… provides highly affordable programmes and we do not provide a complete refund policy. Please read the details of application and programme fee payments below.
- An application fee of $ 300 is due on acceptance of the site recommendations to secure your internship. This fee is only refundable if we are unable to find a host organisation that meets your criteria and needs. We cannot refund your application fee if you approve the internship opportunity, whether verbally or in writing, and then withdraw your application at any stage.
- Balance of the programme fee of $ 1295 is due within 7 (seven) days that you approve your internship. If your arrival falls within one month of your invoice date, then payment is due upon receipt.
- Volunteering/immersion programme
- An application deposit of $ 400 is due on acceptance of the volunteer opportunity and to secure your place in the programme.
- The balance of the programme fee is due on invoice and no later than 6 weeks before departure date.
- if i could… is charging 4% international banking fee, which is charged at the time of online payment.
- The whole programme fee is due if the applicant signs up less than 6 weeks before departure and this is subject to availability
- This offering is on a first-come-first-served basis and a place will only be reserved on receipt of receipt of the deposit payment. The participation is then only confirmed once the remaining balance is paid in full.
- The Volunteer is not entitled to any refund in the event that he/she cannot participate in the if i could… volunteer programme should the Volunteer not receive a visa through immigration authorities, or any other event.
- In the event that due to unforeseen circumstances the development immersion programme is cancelled all fees paid will be refunded to participants. DWC cannot be held responsible for any financial, emotional loss and damages in this event.
- Cancellation requests must be received in writing via email
- The deposit payment of $ 400 is not refundable in case of cancellation.
- We will charge 20 % of the total trip costs, if you cancel anytime before 4 weeks of departure.
- We will charge 30 % of the total trip costs, if you cancel between 2 – 4 weeks before departure.
- We will charge 100 % of total trip costs, if you cancel from 2 weeks before departure or if you don’t show up at your destination.
- DWC reserves the right to dismiss a participant from the programme whose conduct is discourteous to others, illegal, incompatible with the best interest of the Host organisation and/or DWC or whose attitude, health or mental condition negatively and significantly affects the spirit, values and ethos of the volunteer programme. This decision will be based on the sole discretion of DWC.
- Should your participation in the programme be terminated due to reasons above, you will not be entitled to any refund from if i could…
- Force Majeure (events beyond our control)
- Neither DWC nor the host organisation shall be in breach of their obligations under this agreement and will not make refunds nor held responsible for any costs or expenses the participant might incur, if this breach is a consequence due to war or a threat of war, riots or civil strife, terrorist activity or threat of such activity, industrial actions, fire, adverse weather conditions, health risks and epidemics, natural or nuclear disaster or other circumstances beyond DWC’s control.
- if i could… as an agent
- You understand that if i could… is an agent acting on behalf of suppliers, hereinafter “Local Partners/Local Coordinators”. You accept, understand and acknowledge that we organize, promote and offer programmes that offer accommodation, transportation and other services provided by our Local Partners/Local Coordinators, which are independent and separate entities from if i could…, and over which we have no authority or oversight.
- Some examples of local partners include but are not limited to hotels, restaurants, taxi drivers, tour guides and travel agencies, as well as the entities where you may volunteer in or travel to, for example, local biological reserves, clinics and hospitals, nonprofits, local travel companies or other local hosting companies and schools.
- By applying for our programmes online your confirm that you have read and agree to our terms and you are waiving us of any liability that, amongst other things forever releases us, our owners, our directors, our shareholders, our employees and any persons or groups associated to us of all liability related to:
- Any of our local partners´ negligent or willful acts, or failures to act including, without limitation, their partial or complete failure to deliver services to you; any personal injury or illness, emotional trauma, property damage or death which arises out of any service provided to you by our Local Partners;
- Any error, misrepresentation or mistake, whether intentional or unintentional, made by any of our local partners/local coordinators, local staff members, travel companies etc.
- Waiver and Indemnity
- Both parties record that the participant undertakes volunteer/internship opportunity at his/her own risk. DWC, the directors, employees and any persons or groups associated to us will not be held responsible for any injury or damages suffered by the volunteer, from whatsoever cause, and howsoever arising.
- User expressly agrees that use of if i could…’s website is at user’s sole risk. Neither if i could…, its affiliates nor any of their respective employees, agents, third party content providers or licensors warrant that if i could… will be uninterrupted or error free; nor do they make any warranty as to the results that may be obtained from use of if i could…, or as to the accuracy, reliability or content of any information, service, or merchandise provided through if i could….
- if i could… is provided on an “as is” basis without warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including, but not limited to, warranties of title or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, other than those warranties which are implied by and incapable of exclusion, restriction or modification under the laws applicable to this agreement.
- In no event will if i could… or any person or entity involved in creating, producing or distributing if i could… or DWC content, be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or punitive damages arising out of the use of or inability to use if i could…’s website. User hereby acknowledges that the provisions of this section shall apply to all content on if i could…
- if i could… does not take any direct responsibly for the use of third party online payment facility such as PayPal and will not be responsible for any malfunction in their software for online payment. All disputes arising with Paypal or similar will be dealt with directly by the traveller.
- In addition to the terms set forth above, neither if i could…, nor its affiliates, information providers or content partners shall be liable regardless of the cause or duration, for any errors, inaccuracies, omissions, or other defects in, or untimeliness or inauthenticity of, the information contained within if i could…, or for any delay or interruption in the transmission thereof to the user, or for any claims or losses arising therefrom or occasioned thereby. None of the foregoing parties shall be liable for any third-party claims or losses of any nature, including, but not limited to, lost profits, punitive or consequential damages. Neither if i could… nor its affiliates, information providers or content providers warrant or guarantee the timeliness, sequence, accuracy or completeness of this information. Additionally, there are no warranties as to the results obtained from the use of the information.
- if i could… does not take any responsibility of photos and documentation provided by our partners and affiliations abroad, who might supply such material to other businesses of a similar nature
- if i could… does not take any responsibility of any third party links from our site and will not be held responsible for content or service provided on those sites.
- The participant and DWC record that notwithstanding the place of signature or acceptance of this agreement, South African law will apply to this agreement, and any disputes that arise out of this agreement between the participant and DWC, shall be determined and adjudicated in terms of the laws of the Republic of South Africa, and that this adjudication will take place in Cape Town, South Africa.
- The participant and DWC agree that any dispute that arises in terms of this agreement will be resolved by Arbitration, in terms of the rules and regulations of the Arbitration Foundation of South Africa.
- In the event that any of the clauses of this agreement, or the agreement as a whole, are deemed to be invalid or unenforceable, the participant and DWC agree that the arbitration clause will be severable from the remaining part of the agreement, and will continue in force despite the invalidity of the remainder of the agreement.
I understand that these Terms & Conditions are legally binding when applying for our programme. I execute this agreement voluntarily and with full knowledge of its meaning and significance.